I’ve made a few upgrades at the station this weekend. I’ve still got a long way to go before I consider everything properly put together, but we’re getting a signal out a little farther now.
Station Antenna Mounting
I hate heights. I hate climbing two legged ladders. Thankfully, my wonderful wife helped provide necessary assistance from the ground while I scurrying up about ground level.
First, we needed to mount the mast arm that everything will be anchored to. I just mounted it in place to the bottom of the roof’s a-frame over the garage. I had to cut and drill the mast plate that connects the mast arm to the actual antenna mast, but needed to prime it since I only had untreated pine in the garage.
That concluded day one since we got started late and sunset is earlier this late in the year.
Staging and Sealing
Day 2. After terminating the mini rg8 feed line with a PL-259 UHF plug connector and some heat shrink, I fed it down to the ground level. After a quick connection and wrapping with coax seal, it was ready to go up in the air.
Mounting and Cleanup
Mounting wasn’t too bad. I don’t have it pictured, but I made a PVC widget that looked like a tall, narrow football field goal to help lift and steady the antenna in mid-air. It seemed to work well, and we got everything mounted and swivelled in to place.