Chirp – (Nearly) Universal Amateur Radio Programming Software

Posted on Updated on

I want to throw out what I’m using right now to program my radios that happen to support digital programming interfaces, which happens to be the Baofeng UV-5R and Tonfa UV-985.  Neither are very high end radios, but they work for me for the time being with a price that was right.  I strongly recommend the use of CHIRP for programming amateur radios.  It’s a free, open-source tool written in Python that supports Windows, Mac, and Linux, and I have had excellent success running it from my Fedora workstation at the home QTH.  Just like the rigs, the software works very well for my needs, and the price cannot be argued with.  The official CHIRP project page may be found at http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home and its specifications at present is quoted here as of the time of this post’s composition:

Supported Radio Models

AnyTone

• AT-5888UV (in daily builds)

Alinco

• DR-03T
  • DR-06T
  • DR135T
  • DR235T
  • DR435T
  • DJ596T
  • DJ175T

Baofeng

• F-11 (in daily builds)
  • UV-3R
  • UV-5R
  • UV-82 (in daily builds)
  • UV-B5/B6 (in daily builds)
  • BF-888 (in daily builds)

Baojie

• BJ-UV55 (in daily builds)

Icom

• IC-Q7A
  • IC-W32A
  • IC-746
  • IC-7200
  • IC-7000
  • ID-31A
  • ID-51A (in daily builds)

Jetstream

• JT220M
Kenwood

• TH-D7A/G
  • TH-D72
  • TH-F6A
  • TH-F7E
  • TH-G71A (in daily builds)
  • TH-K2
  • TK-7102/8102/7108/8108 (in daily builds)
  • TM-271A/281A
  • TM-D700
  • TM-D710
  • TM-G707
  • TM-V7A
  • TM-V71A

Puxing

• PX-2R (UHF)
  • PX-777

TYT

• TH-UV3R
  • TH-UVF1

Yaesu

• FT-60R
  • FT-90R (in daily builds)
  • FT-817/ND
  • FT-857/D
  • FT-897
  • FT-1802M
  • FT-2800M
  • FT-7800R
  • FT-7900R
  • FT-8800R
  • FT-8900R
  • FTM-350R (in daily builds)
  • VX-2R (in daily builds)
  • VX-3R
  • VX-5R
  • VX-6R
  • VX-7R
  • VX-8R

Wouxun

• KG-UVD1P/UV2D/UV3D
  • KG-UV6D/UV6X

Note that not all functionality is supported on all radio models. Take a look at overview of what features are supported for each model.

Other Data Sources

File Formats

• Comma Separated Values (.csv)
  • Comma Separated Values generated by RT Systems (.csv) (in daily builds)
  • EVE for Yaesu VX-5 (.eve)
  • Kenwood HMK format (.hmk)
  • Kenwood commercial ITM format (.itm) (in daily builds)
  • Icom Data Files (.icf)
  • ARRL TravelPlus (.tpe) (in daily builds)
  • VX5 Commander Files (.vx5)
  • VX7 Commander Files (.vx7)
Internet

• RadioReference
  • RepeaterBook
  • przemienniki.net (in daily builds)
  • RFinder

10 thoughts on “Chirp – (Nearly) Universal Amateur Radio Programming Software

Daryl Melear said:
    May 31, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Hey Charles,
    I just bought a TONFA UV-985 and I’m trying to use Chirp. Can you tell me which radio to pick in Chirp for programing it?
    Thanks,
    Daryl KK4YIB

ccstewart responded:
      May 31, 2014 at 12:44 pm

It programs as a Baofeng UV-5R for me without any problems.

Dr.Varnick said:
    June 15, 2014 at 5:12 pm

recently i bought a Tonfa TF-Q5 and i tried this Chirp with the UV-5R but is not working, how can programm this radio?

ccstewart responded:
      June 15, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I don’t own that model, but I’m guessing that it would work with the Baofeng UV-B5 model due to visual similarity. I had to use one of the daily builds to get support for that model, and I look forward to hearing if that works for you or not.

ccstewart responded:
      July 11, 2014 at 12:15 am

Following up, check the daily builds out at http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/LATEST/

Robert Conroy said:
      August 26, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I was thinking of purchasing a Tonfa-TF-Q5 but I worry about the programming. I have programmed. I have use my laptop to program the Baofeng UV-5R , UV-5R PLUS, UV-82 with the Baofeng & CHIRP programming. Will one of these programs work to fill in all my frequencies with my laptop? If not were can I get the program to download onto my laptop?

Dr.Varnick said:
        August 27, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Still no results for Tonfa programming. I can’t use it like this without being able to program it.

ccstewart responded:
        August 27, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Sorry to hear that. I don’t have access to one at the moment, so I’m unable to assist any further. Thank you for your feedback on this particular model.

Robert Conroy said:
      August 27, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I see they have a programming disc & a download cable you can buy with the Tonfa TF-Q5.Does this programming disc work?

alvaro blesa manzanero said:
        September 10, 2014 at 4:35 am

hola amigos necesitaria por favor el wofware del walkie tonfa tf-Q5 muchas gracias
        saludos